Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Requiem

Finally, after a second visit to Saigon in the last four years, I got to visit the War Remnants Museum. I've always been intrigued/fascinated by the Vietnam War era, have studied the history of it in school and university, read biographies, autobiographies, talked to returned Veterans about their experiences and still nothing prepared me for this confronting experience when I finally got there.

I went alone, which is a good thing. It was the kind of thing you either have to do by yourself, or with the right person. The photographs, the images, the displays...they are etched into my mind and soul and will never be eradicated. I would walk through the different areas, looking and reading, with tears streaming down my face and would have to sit in the foyer to compose myself before going in to the next exhibit.

Some people took photos of everything. I found that once inside, I did not take a single picture. I couldn't. Some things just are better off in your mind's eye and not something you need to bring home to show your family. Not the sort of pictures for family slide night, for sure.

The things that were seen cannot be unseen and although knowledge is power, one cannot help but be affected by the stories in this museum. The human side of the war, from all perspectives. I'll give them that, the Vietnamese did a good job of exhibiting not just their own casualties of war, but made sure there was coverage of all parties. Ultimately, what they provide is a place of reflection that makes certain you understand that there are no winners in wartime. Everyone pays a price. Most often, a price that is still being paid, long after the declarations of peace have been made.

No comments:

Post a Comment